You’ve decided when and where you’re moving, but now you need to sketch out all of the steps between today and your move-in date. Where should you start? Creating a moving timeline is the perfect way to keep yourself on track and ensure that you are ready to make the journey to your new home or apartment.
8 Weeks Before Moving
- Go through your storage unit, basement and attic to see if there is anything you don’t want to take with you. Now is the time to coordinate donation pick-ups and drop-offs.
- Call Perry Moving and Storage to schedule moving day services from the best in the business.
- Talk to your accountant or tax preparation professional to see if any of your moving expenses will be tax deductible.
- If you are moving out of the area, find a dentist and doctor in your insurance network in your new location.
- If your child will be moving to a new school district, you should talk to their current school about transferring their records.
6 Weeks Before Moving
- Declutter your home and complete an inventory that lists everything you will be keeping.
- Start letting people know about your move, including friends, family and colleagues. This is also the perfect time to schedule a going-away party.
- If you are tackling packing on your own, this is a good time to purchase moving supplies to make the process as seamless as possible. Don’t put getting boxes off until the last minute!
4 Weeks Before Moving
- Contact your utility companies (electricity, internet, water, gas, etc.) and other service providers to disconnect service and set it up at your new address.
- Start packing all seasonal items and things that you will not need to access over the next month.
- If you are moving to another city and driving a long distance, coordinate travel arrangements and hotel reservations for your trip.
- Organize all important documents in a central location so that nothing goes missing.
2 Weeks Before Moving
- Contact your financial institutions to give them your updated address.
- Have your vehicles serviced to make sure that they are ready to make the trip.
- Pack up your remaining things and finish donating, selling or giving away anything that you won’t be taking with you.
- Ensure that your utilities and services are all disconnected and reconnected at your new address on your moving date.
- Contact Perry Moving to confirm your schedule.
Perry Moving & Storage Is Here to Help with Your Moving-Related Tasks
Are you hitting the road to move to your new home? Perry Moving & Storage is the preferred moving and storage company of Baltimore and Washington businesses and homeowners. To learn more about our short-term and long-term storage options and get a quote, call us today at (410) 799-0022.